Scaling

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Jun 5 18:23:03 MDT 2006

In a message dated 6/4/2006 9:12:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, Erwinspiano
writes:

  Tom
   Wrong assumptions on both counts.  Japanese wire sizes  are 1/2 size
larger than ours  thus making your first wire size 13  1/2.  Measure it with a
micrometer & you'll see.  Been there  done that.
  Dale

Tom asked: "Just unstrung an older Kawai model 500 grand. I was  astonished
to see that
their first wire size was a #14. Thinking about rescaling this down in
tension a bit. Anyone out there have any experience with rescaling this
mode?. This looks like the pre-cursor to the KG2 model."

Tom,
I wouldn't! The soundboards on that model are quite thick and a #14  wire is
appropriate. (Ya have to look at the Whole picture.<G>) It  behooves you to
get a Scaling Program and play around with this sort of  stuff.<G> Then
practice/experiment on your own stuff. (which entails a  lot of "oops! Better Change
That!"<G>)

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I