Scaling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 6 06:30:16 MDT 2006

> For the record, this Kawai had all sizes in American. All wire sizes
> were accurate with American measurements.
> When I initially evaluated the instrument and saw the #14 at the top, my
> first inclination was to assume that it was a #13.5 string.
> I have done a number of Kawai's and Yamaha's in the past were the size
> measurement were 1/2 size larger in all cases. Thus, my curiosity as to
> why this was different raised several concerns. Could this have been a
> mistake from the factory?
> Or could this be the result of another technician miss-reading the
> initial readings and stringing with incorrect sizes?
>
> Tom Servinsky

According to what I have here, Metric is (approximately,
rounded to four decimal places) 0.0005" smaller through gages
12-14.5, 0.0006" smaller through gages 15-18, 0.0007" smaller
through gages 18.5-21, and 0.0008" smaller through gages
21.5-23. It never does get a full half size smaller.

gage	inches	inches	metric
------------------------------
12	 0.029	 0.0285	 0.725
12.5	0.030	0.0295	0.75