Refelting antique hammers

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 6 12:32:17 MDT 2006

Hi, all.

I have a very old pre-D Steinway 9', about 1873 or so, with a few high
treble hammers worn through to the wood. The owner is very attached to
the tone of the piano in general, which is rather soft and sweet, not
nearly as powerful as a more modern piano. I am considering refelting
just the top section, so as to preserve what's still working without
rebuilding the action, and because that's really all the piano needs for
his purposes. I don't think leather will get past his aesthetic filter.

A couple months back, there was some discussion of refelting hammers. I
would like to know who offers this service. Is there anyone in North
America? Has anyone here ever tried to do this him/herself? Thanks for
any info.

-Mark Schecter