Refelting antique hammers

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Tue Jun 6 14:19:04 MDT 2006

Hello Mark.

Maybe there is someone in north America.  If not, Abel (Germany) is the way
to go.  I myself had 100 % good refelting experience with them.  They
propose made to measure refelting in soft, medium or hard pressed wool,
retaining or not on demand the underfelts.  They do the job in 3 weeks.  For
an old Steinway 1873, you want soft pressed felt, methink.  Just give the
wanted bore distance, which you get by subtracting the hammers center pins
heigth from the string heigth, both measured from the action bed.

http://www.abel-pianoparts.de/

Renner does this also and can use Wurzen AA felt, but need 6 weeks.  I have
no experience with those, but I will certainly give them a try in the near
future.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.