Hearing

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Thu Jun 8 21:19:27 MDT 2006

David,

I just posted a couple things about the hammer shank, but to your other
question.

Yes, I know what you're talking about. I don't think I'm losing the ability
to hear things, but sometimes it's hard to distinguish words if there's a
lot of other noise. It's like I hear everything going on in the room at the
same time, but it's sometimes hard to focus on conversational speech unless
I really work at it. Like less of a hearing thing, and more of a filtering
thing. My hearing was normal five years ago, and I've been using protection
since then, so hope things are OK there. I've wondered if it comes from
focusing so much on hearing beats that that part of our brain starts to take
over and we sort of lose a little ability to discern speech because our
"tuning hearing" is super-developed.

Ed Sutton posted something a while back about a certain part of the brain
that grows more when a skill like tuning is learned. Maybe there's something
like that going on with us, but it gets over-developed. ???

I know you and I are not the only ones with this, because some instructors
at conventions are obviously having trouble hearing people in the class ask
questions. Yet it's obvious they can hear well on the piano.

John Formsma

  _____