Hearing Aids

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 9 19:55:08 MDT 2006

Terry Asked: "The hearing aids that I would like to have are about 5k a pair. They are
adjusted electronically. There are no visible controls on them and the
wearer cannot adjust them. Is this the type you have?"

Thanks

Terry,
IMO, (and I do wear hearing aids), you need some that can be adjusted by you, as far as volume is concerned. IF the hearing aids have Suppressors in the circuitry, the need for volume control is less, but not eliminated.
The biggest problem with a person getting used to hearing aids, is understanding that "less is more"! The natural tendency is to turn the darned things up when you can't hear. That is the opposite of what you need to do. Hearing aids have come a very long way in the past few years. They are ungodly expensive. When you consider how complex they are, you realize their worth. The ones that my Hearing Aid Dispensor Person is recommending to me are in the $7K to $8K for a pair. Yikes! Because of that, I've been putting off my "up-grade".
The biggest mistake most make in regards to hearing aids, is they are self-conscious about them, so they want them to not be visible. That type of hearing aid, most of the time is not adequate for our needs, IMO. Yes, they do have a little control thingee that you carry in your pocket that allows you to change "channels", but we need more than that. We need to be able to control the volume. Especially, considering all of the different "noise" situations we get into. In this case "one size fits all", DON'T.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I