Julius Bauer

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jun 10 09:10:51 MDT 2006

Good morning list
   It's Sat!! Do I hear an Amen?
    I am now the proud owner of a 5 ft 6 inch  ish Julius (I had some very
unique ideas )  Bauer.  The design is a reverse crown design with ribs on the
top and  bottom of the board.  The plate is the most massive piece of cast iron
since the Titanic.  I could barely lift the treble corner off the  ground.
    The sound board is built into a maple liner  which is screwed to the
bottom of the massive plate.  The plate has  vertical walls that follow the shape
of the inner rim & is screwed to the  rim around its perimeter. The rim is  a
rather insignificant part of the  design & quite thin. It appears that the
entire belly system could have  been strung up without the case & installed in
the case later
  Although the mice had been having a party on the  inside,  the remaining
strings exhibited remarkable sustain from low  tenor to high treble, as have all
the reverse crown boards I've heard. I love  the freakish stuff.
  Any body work on these in practive.  Tell me  more.  This is one of maybe 3
or 4 I've ever encountered
   I hope to send pictures once the new computer  gives me permission.  Ughh
  Cheers
  Dale

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
Modesto, Ca.
Shop 209-577-8397
cell  209-985-0990
Web site _http://www.Erwinspiano.com_ (http://www.erwinspiano.com/)
Restoration & Sales of
Steinway & Sons plus  other fine pianos.
Custom made soundboards by  design