Follow-up on hearing protection

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 10 16:44:24 MDT 2006

HI, Geoff:
    You may want to bite the bullet and have a REAL evaluation done by a "professional".  You need to keep track of your progress, so regular visits are recommended over time.
    I have a hearing loss which begins at around 4000 hz, so any further degradation for me is going to be devastating.  I've known about this since I was in 8th grade (I'm 55 now), and I've had regular checkups over the years.  It hasn't changed much, if at all.  Luckily, I can still tune (Thanks, Dr. Sanderson!).  Anyway, I also have a problem hearing in a crowd, and had a very similar experience diagnosing a splinter between two keys.  I just couldn't hear it, but eventually the lady pointed it out.
    At least, get SOME kind of protection, so it doesn't get worse.  In my case, no hearing aid is going to help much.  I don't know if they would help you, but you could check into it.
    I'm also interested to "hear" about those Zem plugs.  I like mine, though.  I use Hearos Musician Plugs from Musician'sfriend.com.

    FWIW,
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego