Follow-up on hearing protection

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sat Jun 10 18:23:48 MDT 2006

I in no way meant for this to be a replacement for a real evaluation by a
"professional". I just found it interesting and wanted to pass it along as
something potentially useful to play with.

As far as going to a professional, I have found from experience that unless
you go to one that understands the difference between testing the hearing of
the normal public and the hearing of those who use their ears professional
you may not get results that mean much. You need to make sure that both the
signal generating equipment is tested and calibrated regularly AND that the
headphones are tested for their ability to actually reproduce, (accurately),
what that test equipment is sending them, and replaced regularly if
deficient. Among other things, this means you need to make sure they test up
above 8K. Most don't because the normal public really has no "need" of
anything above that. Most of the doctors figure if a person can hear between
125Hz and 8K then they should be able to understand speech and so
subsequently their hearing is "fine". Again, I in no way mean that you
should not go to a professional. Just pick the right one.

When I worked as a mastering engineer at A&M Records they tested our hearing
yearly. Both A&M and the testing company knew that the tests we were
receiving were inadequate to evaluate our trained range of hearing for the
job's were doing. The reason for the testing was only to document CHANGES in
in the range they COULD test for. Any loss in that area meant that OSHA was
going to step in. The assistant engineers were even required to wear SPL
monitoring devices that recorded a weeks worth of loudness levels. Those
were then turned in and evaluated in order to make sure the rock-n-rollers
weren't pushing the limits of the acceptable listening levels in the control
rooms, causing possible damage their employees hearing and subsequently be
cause for legal action later. Since a studio would not be able to stay in
business if they forced artists to curb their monitoring levels, the studio
often took corrective action by rotating the assistants during sessions. As
a mastering engineer I had complete control of the monitor levels in my
control room. Additionally, I kept an SPL meter on the top of my console to
make sure that I knew where 80db SPL was. My clients came to me because of
my hearing and they almost never questioned my listening levels, which were
usually far below what they mixed at.

I'm 57 so I don't expect my hearing to be the same as it was when I was 20
or 30. And I know I don't have any hearing "damage". But with that squeaky
wood splinter I became sadly aware that my hearing is definitely showing
it's age. :-(

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles