New Bearing guges that don't lie

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Jun 11 11:53:08 MDT 2006

Dale writes:
Forget bridge slope & cant, iI don't think it matters.
Hi Dale,

I don't know if that's an assumption I'm comfortable making. It's true that
it's the total bearing that affects the impedance, and that's what this gauge
measures. It's also true that clamping due to side bearing probably overcomes
negative front (or rear) bearing where the total bearing is positive, but I'd
rather have a complete picture of the front and rear bearing as well as the
total.

I carry a couple of these (thinner, about 5mm) for a quick go-no-go check of
a problem piano in the field, but I'd rather have the whole picture when doing
an assessment for real.

I also haven't found a way to use them to set up a bridge on a new
soundboard. Were you saying that you have?

Bob Davis