Piano evaluation proposal - getting them sold on it

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Wed Jun 14 04:31:34 MDT 2006

I want to change this up for the next part of the discussion..and I am
hoping that this year's Convention will shed some light for me personally.

I am perhaps the worst salesman in the world - the guy who couldn't sell
heat to an Eskimo..yet when it comes to knowing my abilities and what I
can do with a particular instrument, I am left with my word and my word
only.

So I am asking: how do you get them to spend the necessary funds to do
the work that's needed?  This K&B, which, in my opinion James, WOULD be
a good piano. With the proper treatment, that 5'4" would sound at least
a foot bigger. We all know that..but how do you get them to do it?

Are there samples one brings into an evaluation..physical
samples..good-looking paperwork (ahem)?? - for every 10 jobs I appraise
I might get one of them. I would really like to improve that ratio. Hey
- if I double it, I'm way ahead of the game!!

Not all the jobs I see are complete re-manufactures - some are your
basic hammer/shank/flange/ regulate variety, and then there's the old
upright - ornate case - family heirloom - Billings Flanges - and they
shriek when they hear anything above 5k to do the work right.....the one
thing I insist on mentioning at the time of appraisal is that my word is
my bond, and what's on paper is what you'll pay. I don't like the "come
in low, get the job, and take it from there" approach. I would not want
that done to me, and hence I won't do that to potential clients.

Granted, there are people out there, perhaps reading this, that do this
type of work full time, but might shy away from this piece because: they
have enough work, or it's not worth it to them to spend the time to
re-manufacture the instrument...but then there's people like myself with
a bevy full of knowledge, and good deal of practical experience, good
business practices, a willingness to make it right, and I can't get them
to tune it....

My breath doesn't stink, and I take a shower every day.

How do you get them to pull the trigger?

-Phil Bondi(Fl)