Piano evaluation proposal - getting them sold on it

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Wed Jun 14 10:19:17 MDT 2006

Hi Phil,

Maybe you just have the wrong customers.  :-)

Do you have other "jobs" you've completed that you can use as references?
That--and places you provide service (I know you do some concert work) can
build trust--especially if it's a public institution (church, school, etc)
with which people are familiar.

I suppose having new parts on hand and perhaps even doing a "test"
installation of a few would be a good demonstration--though I've never done
it.  But I have pointed out worn parts, what the regulation should be, etc.

When I go about informing folks what their pianos need, I just lay the facts
out there--whether it's repair, voicing, regulating, humidity control,
rebuilding, etc., state the advantages & disadvantages (of not having
whatever done--it's not going to get any better).  I suppose enthusiasm,
honesty and confidence play a part of my side.  The customer's ability to
pay and their commitment to music/the instrument are things I can't change.

I'm not going to be the person to try to force the sale of anything because
I hate to be pushed by other sales people. I will try to help the customer
make an informed decision.  I hand out PTG technical bulletins.

I have a few things I say, depending on the situation, to help people
understand.  My favorite for normal folks (not high-end musician types),
is--"You've probably seen some old upright pianos that sound like tin, the
keys are all uneven and some don't even work.  Well, those are pianos that
have only been tuned."--or--"That can happen to any piano."

We all find our own way.  Can you think back to what the circumstances were
on the jobs you did sell?

Well, I need to go now, it's time for my commitment to my son's piano
lessons.  ;-)

Best,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL