Selling your route

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 19:46:21 MDT 2006

<< So one would do just as well to move into the

>     area, advertise agressively, and pick up those pianos without any

>     payment to the retiring technician. This is not my style but it

>     does raise some issues. >>

Greetings,
   I don't know if I would transfer my trust to a serviceman if I knew that
he had paid the older man he was replacing to recommend him.  And the word does
get around!
   I suggest that you move into an area that is going to have a lack of piano
technicians and advertise yourself. Charge no less than the average.   Your
success will depend on your skills and ethics, multiplied(or divided) by your
ability to present yourself.  If you are skilled and ethical, you will quickly
find yourself swamped with work, at which time you can begin raising your
prices until such time you have a workload you can live with.  It is really cool
to build your own business this way.
    I personally think it a fallacy that one can buy another's reputation,
which is what is happening if you are  paying an established tuner for his
customer list.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT