New Bearing Gauges that don't lie

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jun 14 20:44:18 MDT 2006

This is the method I prefer for a quick check of downbearing.  It's a
modified dial gauge and the three feet are 1 inch apart.  When set on a
level surface the needle points straight down to 6:00.  Each increment on
the gauge is .001".  So when set over the bridge with the center foot
centered on the bridge and the outer feet on the front and back scale, it
gives a very quick reading of the total bearing (sine(1o) = .018.  The photo
shows about 1 degree of residual bearing.

Of course, it's relatively useless for setting up bearing on an unstrung
board but so is any other gauge.  My latest foray is to use my ribscale
spreadsheet for calculating the amount of total deflection under load and
predetermine the bridge height based on calculations (I just hate cutting
those stupid little slots and pulling strings around).  I still use a string
and a square to determine whether the bridgetop is square and canted
properly front to back when I do the dry fitting.  My final adjustments come
from using an adjustable plate perimeter mounting system.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com