More on Julius Bauers creation

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 22:10:57 MDT 2006

HI all
   I checked for positive bearing on the Bauer  before the strings.   The
strings are now  off & it had nice  residual distance bearing. I got the strings
off the Bauer to discover the board  has 3 mm of positive crown on ribs
roughly 28" 32" & 34" inches long which  equates to roughly a 70 to 90 ft radius.Top
severla ribs are flat( of  course) Each rib is 10mm thick.  SO adding the two
sides together the  ribs are 20 mm tall with the soundboard sandwiched in
between. The first plywood  ever invented. It must of been an ingenius rib press.
  The bridges are also very tall hence it is very stiff  member.  My
apprentice stood on the bridge yesterday  & his 165  lbs barely caused it to deflect.
In the picture below the main part of the  bridge is very straight which
surely contributes to stiffness.  The  bridge is taller on each with the treble
end at about 2 inches.   Compare this to a Stwy O bridge at 1 1/8th inch.
   The boom test re,veals a very tight sound, a high  pitched frequency.  All
these impedance factors in my minds creates the  sustain we were hearing
prior to de-stringing. A very interesting design &  very creative Man Mr. Bauer
was.  I'll find out soon if the whole assembly  comes out together.
  Cheers
  Dale