New Bearing Gauges that don't lie

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 21:56:11 MDT 2006

Hi David
  I can see how this dial gauge will give you a very close reading on  a new
fully crowned board.  The  problem I experience  with this type of gauge or
the Lowell gauge is that more often than not on  old boards the crown has sunk
some or a lot & the bevel on the bridge top  comes into play.  Meaning that the
rear bridge pins pull the string down  below the actual true rear string
angle. (This may show more bearing than  is actually there). The  rear string
length in these  cases runs up hill to the string rest reducing the overall
bearing angle.  So the closer the placement of the rear foot of either gauge to the
bridge  the more bearing reading discrepancies you will have.  See what I'm
getting  at?

  With he wooden gauges I posted about last week it is also critical  that
the speaking length foot be butted up against the front bridge pins when it
rocks  or big false readings will occur  as well. See what  I'm mean?
  When its' all said & done it seems there are least 3  types of usage for
both gauges.
 1. Assessing any bearing in an old board & using the information  to set it
up while stringing   2. A quick reference in advising  clients as to the
condition of there piano or one that is being considered for  purchase.
  3. Confirming your bearing in a newly bellied & strung  piano.
  Sheldon Smith & I often mused about that in reality  that the  strings need
to be off an old board to really get an  accurate & truthful idea of crown &
bearing as they are so usually  minimal.
   Dale

This is  the method I prefer for a quick check of down bearing.  It's  a
modified dial gauge and the three feet are 1 inch apart.  When set  on a
level surface the needle points straight down to 6:00.  Each  increment on
the gauge is .001".  So when set over the bridge with the  center foot
centered on the bridge and the outer feet on the front and back  scale, it
gives a very quick reading of the total bearing (sine(1o) =  .018.  The photo
shows about 1 degree of residual bearing.

Of course, it's relatively useless for setting up bearing on an  unstrung
board but so is any other gauge.  My latest foray is to use  my rib scale
spreadsheet for calculating the amount of total deflection  under load and
predetermine the bridge height based on calculations (I just  hate cutting
those stupid little slots and pulling strings around).  I  still use a string
and a square to determine whether the bridge top is  square and canted
properly front to back when I do the dry fitting.   My final adjustments come
from using an adjustable plate perimeter mounting  system.

David  Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
Modesto, Ca.
Shop 209-577-8397
cell  209-985-0990
Web site _http://www.Erwinspiano.com_ (http://www.erwinspiano.com/)
Restoration & Sales of
Steinway & Sons plus  other fine pianos.
Custom made soundboards by  design