THE best RPT in America (rant)

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Thu Jun 15 16:08:20 MDT 2006

Hi Tom

I'd say it sounds very reminicient of a tech that was very prolific here
on the list a few years back. Not that it really matters whom it was.
Assuming the below is a true reflective , the person in question just
lines him/herself up with a host of others whom have through the years
come to think their abilitities, thinkings, knowledge, whathaveyou are
far superior to everyone elses. Self declared world champs are plentiful
in all professions yes ??  Its generally best to ignore them when you can.

Cheers
RicB

What do you think about an RPT whom I met recently?  Below are some of
his comments that I found...interesting.

  1.  Only one or two clients per month can "appreciate" the really fine
tuning he is capable of, so he feels that "as long as the unisons and
octaves are close" that's good enough for the rest of them.

  2.  Informed me that he never bothered to learn how to splice a
string.  His scores on the other areas of the RPT Technical Exam were
high enough that he passed without even attempting it.

  3.  Told me that his hearing is "too good".  "I actually hear
coincidental partials!  When I use a M3/M10 test on an octave, I
actually hear the coincidental partials beating!"  (WOW!  Imagine that!
Now there's a set of ears!)

  4.  Told me he covets the job of tuning for his local symphony
orchestra, and regarding the guy who has the gig, "I can't figure out
how he got the position. I've heard his work.  I do a much better job."

  5.  Hired to tune pianos in a warehouse (with me and 4 other tuners),
he tuned two pianos in 7 hours.  (I tuned 6.)  He then asked me, "How do
you do it so fast?"  So the next day, I chose to tune a piano behind him
so I could watch him in action to see if I could give him some tips on
tuning faster.  I watched him as he used both hands to place the tuning
lever on each pin, left hand on the tip, right hand on the handle.
Then...he'd detune the string by at least a half step to a minor third,
before pulling it back up to pitch.  He did this on pitch raises as well
as the final pass.  I commented, "You could improve your speed if you
used just one hand to move the tuning lever from one pin to the next."
He replied, "I don't want to scratch the plate.  That's why I use both
hands." (Am I super-coordinated or something, that I am able to move the
tuning lever from one pin to the next without scratching the plate? Or
is this just another Associate-related bad habit?  I
 couldn't even think of a way to comment on his detuning of each string
without insulting him.)

  6.  Claimed that Virgil Smith told him that he tuned as well as Virgil
himself and that he could teach him nothing.  (Except perhaps the one
thing Virgil should have taught him: to do the best he can on every
piano, whether he thinks the client can "appreciate" it, or not.)

  7.  Wore a tie (with the RPT logo on the tie tac) every day to the
warehouse while the rest of us wore Tshirts and shorts.  (OK, at this
point, every little thing about this guy bugged me...my apologies to all
you logo-bearing-tie-tac-wearing RPTs out there.)

  8.  Claimed he won an award from his chapter for passing his RPT exam
quicker than anyone EVER had in the past.  (Less than 4 years...and...NO
STRINGS WERE SPLICED during the production of this RPT!)

  What a piece of work this guy was!

  Sorry for that.  I do feel better, though, sharing that with someone.
Anyone.

  This is not a rant against RPTs in general.  I may be one myself, one
day. Call me old-fashioned, but I plan to splice a string at my Tech
Exam, plan to continue to do the best tuning I can on every spinet I
come across, will continue to not cast aspersions on the work of others
in my field, and will never drop Virgil's name in an effort to validate
myself.

  Tom Sivak
  Associate Member Chicago Chapter