Doppler Cents Puzzler

V T pianovt at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 23:39:43 MDT 2006

2 meters/second; I would have stopped for some ice
cream.

Vladan

=====================
I was out riding my bicycle this calm quiet evening
when I happened upon an ice cream truck playing music
to attract customers.  The truck had stopped to
dispense ice cream, but the music continued.  Since I
always carry my ETD when I ride my bike, I quickly
measured the pitch of a recurring note in the music
and found it to be 10 cents sharp as I was riding
straight towards the truck.  Then after I passed the
truck, I measured the pitch again and found it to be
10 cents flat as I was riding directly away from it.
How fast was I riding my bicycle?

Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, MI