Doppler Cents Puzzler

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 16 23:59:30 MDT 2006

Hi, Vladan.

Well, your number and mine don't agree, and I'm not at all sure of mine.
So I'm going to show how I got to my result, and if I'm wrong, I'd be
delighted to know how. So here goes.

The fact that the tone goes flat 10 cents when going away merely
confirms that the difference between the stopped truck and the moving
cycle produces a 10 cent differential in pitch. So I considered the
pitch coming from the stopped truck to be 1, and the sound to be
travelling at 1100 feet per second. In order to reach a pitch of 2, the
cycle would have to be moving at the speed of sound toward the truck, to
achieve a total of 2200 feet per second closing speed. With that thought
in mind, I just calculated that a 10 cent increase in pitch equalled
10/1200 of the speed of sound, so:

10 cents higher than nominal pitch =
10/1200 * (speed of sound in air)
or 1/120 * (1100 ft/sec) = 9.1666 ft/sec (speed of bicycle)
9.166 ft/sec * 3600 secs/hour = 33,000 ft/hour
33,000 / 5280 (ft/mi) = 6.25 mph

However, you arrived at 2 meters/second, which equals 7200 meters/hour,
which translates to 4.47 miles per hour. So would you tell me how you
got there? Thanks!

-Mark Schecter