Doppler Cents Puzzler

Amy Zilk amy at zilknet.net
Sat Jun 17 07:18:31 MDT 2006

Vladen's answer is the one I get.

f is the frequency of the source
f_o is the frequency heard by the observer
c is the difference in cents (10)
Vs is speed of sound in air (1100 ft/s)
V is speed of observer (speed of the guy on bike -- the answer)

Doppler shift equation for stationary sound source; observer moving
directly to or from the source:

     f/f_o -- 1 = V/Vs

You have to get f/f_o from the 10 cents difference.

 f/f_o = 2^(c/1200) = 1.005793

Plug it in and get

1.005793 -- 1 = V/Vs

 0.005793 = V/Vs

 0.005793 * Vs = V

 V = 0.005793 * (1100 ft/s) =  6.3723 ft/s

6.3723 ft/s (3600s/hr) / (5280 ft/mi ) = 4.3 mph

az