Downbearing / crown support question. Stéphane

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Jun 16 14:57:08 MDT 2006

Hi Stéphane

I tend to agree, tho that goes against the grain of the modernist who
support the RC&S philosophy.  Wograms article provides a very good
justification for this I believe.  In that article ribs are looked at
from a perspective that has nothing to do with crown or down bearing
support. The influence of rib numbers and dimensions on the acoustics of
the soundboard is the only concern of his article.

It is interesting to note that he sites 2 primary acoustic functions of
the ribs.  One is to increase soundboard stiffness as a whole. It is
this bit that is interesting with regard to the RC& C vs CC discussions
to my mind.  It is clear that placing the panel under compression cross
grain will increase its stiffness to a significant degree.  This is
especially valuable because the increase comes about without any
additional mass.  That is to say, one adds mass when one adds ribs,  but
if one figures panel compression into the equation one gets extra
stiffness for the same amount of total mass.  I.e.  a compression
soundboard with the same set of ribs will have more stiffness compared
to a non CC board all other things being equal.

The other function he sites is the the need to compensate for the
anisotropy of wood.  The reason he gives should be unquestioned at this
point I think.  You basically reduce the effective vibrating area of the
soundboard in half if you do not compensate for this, and that says
nothing about the impedance problems one would most likely create in the
bargain.

Cheers
RicB

Hi Ric.

I believe that the panel (soundboard) must be under some
compression to sound well.....

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.