bar too low

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Jun 17 12:19:48 MDT 2006

Hi Don.

I still dont get the connection.    "No one can do the test perfectly"
says nothing at all about whether or not the lowest possible passing
grade is too easy or not.

THAT said... :)... I would agree with  you about not changing the test.
The RPT test is not really about a kind of certification... tho some
would have it otherwise.  Nor does our organization or the practical
realities in most countries (certainly including the US) allow for such
a test or certification.  You'd have to have a law enforced trade
protection to get there and that just aint going to happen.

Rather... the test serves as kind of a baseline for minimum practical
abilities one should possess at the lowest passing level, and far more
importantly a gauge with which to measure oneself and to learn from.

Cheers
RicB

Hi Rick,

If no one can do it perfectly (other than the etd's)
then the test is just about right. Your mileage may
vary. I agree that becoming a rpt is a beginning
rather than an ending.

There are about 70 "piano tuners" in Saskatchewan--and
just one who is an RPT. Make the test harder? I don't
think that would be productive.