Baldwin Upright Sostenuto Lever Missign

Patrick Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 18 17:23:59 MDT 2006

    Hello All: I am working on a Baldwin upright with sostenuto, and it seems to be missing an intermediate lever betwen the horizontal lever  and the pedal screw (see diagram below). The horizontal lever pivots on the vertical bar, causing the rod to pull the rod down and the sostenuto system to go into action. There are 3 screw holes in the horizontal lever at point A which apparently is where a lever of some sort was connected, which then connected to the screw coming up from the sostenuto pedal. The purpose of the spring is to hold the vertical bar in place, as that bar was not glued or screwed onto the bottom of the keybed.  Has anyone seen a system like this before, and if so could you please describe the missing bar? My guess is that it is an elbow shaped lever that goes from point A down to the pedal screw.
Thanks for your help.

                                                                                                        KEYBED
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   R  I                                                                                                      / ----------SPRING
   O  I                                                                                                  [    /    ]
   D  I                                                                                                  [    /    ]
        I                                                VERTICAL BAR---------------    [    /    ]
        I                                                                                                  [    /    ]
        I                                                                                                  [    /    ]
        I                                                                                                  [    /    ]
        I                                                                                                  [    /    ]
        I                                                                                                  [    /    ]
        I                                                                                                  [    /    ]
        I           HORIZONTAL LEVER                                                 [    /    ]                                                                    A

                                                                                   SCREW               I
                                                                                                      SOSTENUTO
                                                                                                            PEDAL
Patrick C. Poulson