was other piano-reality stuff.....

Robin Blankenship tunerdude at comcast.net
Mon Jun 19 12:28:38 MDT 2006

The movie "Contact", based on the novel by Carl Sagan posits the dilemma of an agnostic and hard-nosed scientist needing to convince a skeptical audience that a very real phenomenom that the scientist experience did in fact happen. Absent any physical evidence to substantiate her claim, the scientist had to rely on instilling a faith in this reality in the minds and hearts of her audience.

Human finiteness of sense, intellect and duration prevent any or all of us from ever knowing with absolute certainty much beyond the most rudimentary of demonstrable facts about the physical cosmos. And, all we can ever hope to do about the non-physical cosmos is to speculate and to trust.

To "know" within one's own self that such and such is True and Absolute is fine and often rather necessary. To share one's "truth" with others is also fine and often helpful, if ocassionally risky. To impose one's personal truth on another, against their will, is to be untruthful and even indecent, in my opinion.

Individuals who do not believe in a supreme being, of whatever description, would do well to be as tolerant of those who do as they demand in reverse.

Religious conviction may be an inconvenient truth, to borrow a contemporary movie title for better use than its inventors made of it; but it is neither going to go away nor need it be feared in and of itself. There are good and ill peoples everywhere, of any and all demographics.

But, it really IS amusing that George Carlin, after all of his effusive second guessing of the Deity, should end up off-handedly using the masculine pronoun in making reference to that which he so unappoletically mocks!!!!!

That's the truth......so help me Al Gore.

Robin Blankenship, still using A-440