Doppler puzzle

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 13:04:48 MDT 2006

Hi John,

Hertz are logarithmic and cents are not. A cent is 1/100 of a semitone. The
number of hertz in a semitone is different from g#4 to a4 than e5 to f5,
but the number of cents is still 100.

So far as I know doppler is based on hertz and not on cents, so the
original question can not be answered unless one knows the specific pitch
that was being meaured.

At 01:39 PM 6/19/2006 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Vladen--
>Did I learn, incorrectly, that "1 cent" is defined as one one-hundredth of
>the Hz difference between one note and an adjacent semi-tone?  Or, are the
>cents "tempered"?  In the first case, the value of each cent is constant
>between semi-tones, i.e. one cent above a tone is equal in Hz to the cent
>below the next semi-tone.  In the second case, the "first" cent is not equal
>in Hz to the "last" cent. I'm a newbie with more mathematical sense than
>piano sense, so I just want to get it right!!
>JD

Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner