Doppler puzzle

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Jun 19 13:22:31 MDT 2006

John:

A cent is 1/100th of a semitone.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On
Behalf Of John Delmore
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 1:39 PM
To: 'Pianotech List'
Subject: RE: Doppler puzzle

Hi Vladen--
Did I learn, incorrectly, that "1 cent" is defined as one one-hundredth
of
the Hz difference between one note and an adjacent semi-tone?  Or, are
the
cents "tempered"?  In the first case, the value of each cent is constant
between semi-tones, i.e. one cent above a tone is equal in Hz to the
cent
below the next semi-tone.  In the second case, the "first" cent is not
equal
in Hz to the "last" cent. I'm a newbie with more mathematical sense than
piano sense, so I just want to get it right!!
JD