Restoring crown in old soundboard

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 18:19:20 MDT 2006

Some people have routed a bunch of grooves, with
Spurlock's set-up, and installed a  bunch of shims
with the board in "flexed-out" state, and claim to
have successfully re-introduced enough measurable
crown to make the piano sound good. ( D.L. Bullock
wrote an article on this, that I have. ) Others say
it's all "hogwash".  Personally, I don't see why it
wouldn't work, although I might also try laminating
thin "piggybacks" to the rib spines, with the ribs
also "bowed out" and impregnating the board with
something that gives it more body, to compensate for
compression of the wood fibers, over the years. Let it
dry before removing your shims from behindthe bioard,
athat are keeping it bowed. Del Fandrich wrote some
articles about epoxy soundboard coating/impregnating,
in which he claims, or so I've heard, that the epoxy
adds more "mass and stiffness"  , helping it extract
the vibrations from the strings better. I also
suspect, though, that the epoxy, being denser than the
wood, may help vibrations pass across the panel, and
add some of the aforementioned reinforcement.
    That's all I know, and it ain't very much. And
it'll win no friends with the "gotta build a new
board" crowd. So I'm not really recommending it, just
passing on info. Wear adequate carbon-filter gas
masks, and gloves, if you fool around with epoxy, or
any other toxic materiual.
     Thump