Piano moved in another room - bushings tight!

A440 Piano Service a440 at bresnan.net
Tue Jun 20 22:25:54 MDT 2006

Hello List,

A customer just called and since she lived nearby, I went to see the piano right away. She complained of certain keys so tight that her daughter, the player, couldn't push them down. I inspected and verified the symptom. The problem seems to be that some, 6 total, of the keys' bushings are now extraordinarily tight. So I'm in the process of rebushing them right now.

What I want to know is why? What you might need to know is that about a week or so ago they borrowed my 4-wheel dolly to move the piano to another room while carpet was being replaced in its home room. This problem exhibited itself when the piano was moved back. It was working fine before they moved it.

What happened? Why just "select" keys? And should I recommend then that I re-bush the entire set?

Kinda makes me go, "hmmm."

Thanks in advance Sender: Avery <avery1 at houston.rr.com>