twisting front rail key pins

JIMRPT at aol.com JIMRPT at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 14:22:33 MDT 2006

In a message dated 6/22/06 11:32:37 AM, tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net writes:

<< List

I've always been told, "Don't twist the front key pins to eliminate side
motion on keys that have the key bushings worn out."  And I've always accepted
that.>>

Tom;
 In a perfect world new bushings would be the way to go but there are limits
to perfection. Key pins may be twisted to reduce lost motion and doing so will
'not' increase wear on the bushing unless the pins are twisted too far. A
rule of thumb I use is 20 degrees....that is to say I will twist pins up to 20
degrees (either way) from straight and feel perfectly fine about doing so any
thing above that is calling for new bushings in my opinion.

 <<Now I understand it would be unethical to do that to a piano and then sell
it, hiding a problem, >>

 Hmm....... would you care to expand on this a little?
Jim B (FL)