Doppler Cents Puzzler

Amy Zilk amy at zilknet.net
Fri Jun 23 00:20:59 MDT 2006

You are right that the bicyclist slows down after he passes the ice
cream truck, but not because ten cents flat isn't the same as ten cents
sharp.  It's because the bicyclist is traveling the same direction as
the sound waves away from the truck and in the opposite direction of the
sound waves toward the truck.  Ten cents flat is the same frequency
ratio as ten cents sharp.
az