soundboard cleaning, the easy way?

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 26 07:26:41 MDT 2006

List

  Has anyone tried using those compressed air canisters intended for computer keyboard cleaning, etc., for dusting a soundboard?  You know what I'm talking about?  The aerosol can thingees that shoot 'air' or a gas of some kind, at a high velocity to dust between the keys of a computer keyboard. They have enough pressure to move the dust off a soundboard, but I wonder if there would be any negative effects to the strings.  Gas aside, it comes out at a very low temperature.  (Warnings on the label state that you can get frostbite if directed directly at skin.)  I suppose there could be condensation on the strings that might precipitate rusting?

  The easy answer is don't use it to avoid any problems, but boy, it would make cleaning a soundboard a breeze.  Anyone ever tried it?

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago