NEWOCTAVE GLOBAL Tuning hammers....

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 27 06:36:50 MDT 2006

Might I be a voice of "unreason" regarding hammers?  I had an acquaintance
weld 1/2 stainless bar onto the threaded replacement bars sold by Schaff,
then began playing with a grinder, and now have two hammers which I carry.
They are lightweight (sort of) strong, and I have about $20 involved in
each.  A local who is a fanatic about his hammers and hammer angles, saw my
crude things with Hobby Lobby balls on the end, rather crummy polishing
jobs, and 15 degree heads and wanted to try them.  He said, "Wow, I like
this!"   He uses a 2.5 degree head.  So there is more than one way to get a
"good" hammer.  I was thinking of getting a Jahn, but after trying it,
decided to stick with my primitive stuf.   I also have a "stubby" which I
carry for grands, but otherwise have been more than happy with my simplistic
efforts at tooling.....
les bartlett
www.bartlettpianoservice.com

   _____