Rochester

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Jun 30 07:21:13 MDT 2006

Greg,

Well written.  I entirely agree, and would add that for me, it was
refreshing to see a group, at the top of their trade, with so many different
methods for achieving great piano sound and performance.  What was really
important for me was an acknowledgement that these varying methods all have
validity.

Though different rebuilders chose to rebuild their instruments utilizing
strategies ranging from trying to faithfully reproduce a piano as the
original manufacturer intended, to total redesigns, to nearly complete
manufacture, they all worked, IMO.  One need only sit down and play the
array of instruments at the convention to be convinced of that.  I really
appreciated the prevailing attitude of, "Yeah, you could do it that way.  I
don't, but that's not to say it doesn't work."

I particularly liked something Ron Overs said, "It seems to work."  'Nuff
said.

Thank you to all the humble rebuilders who came to teach.

Yes, the rebuilders showcase was worth the price of admission.

And, yes, I hope that WE (the members of the PTG) will see fit to include
rebuilding showcases in years to come.