Puzzeler from Seattle

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:09:48 -0500

Hammer rail was set too high so you had lost motion, just like in an
upright?

Jerry Cohen RPT

NJ Chapter

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Joseph Alkana
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:48 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Puzzeler from Seattle

For the newbies, and seasoned vets to chuckle over:

OK, here's a little  mystery question for you regarding the weird feeling
action of a Small Baldwin grand piano.

I arrived today for a regulation job at customer's house. Took a quick tour
of the action with my fingers, and proclaimed the action a mess. Let off
appeared to be about a half an inch from the strings, Drop was really low
and keys were pretty much evenly low from factory spec, but just slightly,
dip was a very fat 3/8". But here's the weird thing that caught me off guard
for a few mystifying moments: The hammers were already adjusted to be a 1
3/4" to 1 7/8" and were pretty much in a good straight line.

Yikes! I thought. Where am I going to get enough whippen lift from??? OK,
that was the quickie analysis. What was wrong with the action set up as it
was? Original hammers, and not too worn, by the way.

Joseph Alkana RPT