Puzzeler from Seattle

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@comcast.net
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:18:47 -0800

BINGO! Congratulations Jerry Cohen RPT! =20

Some "tooner", attempting to satisfy my client's request that something =
be done about the way the piano played, simply started out a =
"regulation" by shimming the hammer rebound rail up so that the hammer =
blow distance measured out at about 1 7/8". Then apparently he tried to =
raise the let off, but of course, was unable to do so and still get the =
hammer to go thru some kind of a let off. Nothing else was done, except =
that he added a nice piece of soft felt to lay on top of the rebound =
rail felt, since there was now quite a racket coming from the return of =
the hammers! Yes there was a floating key level in the higher octaves =
that first gave me a clue that all was not right with the nice straight =
hammer line. For those of you just learning regulation, setting the blow =
distance by shimming the hammer rest rail, is the first step that you do =
after action preparation ...FOR VERTICLES!!

I hereby award Jerry with my client list of Winter spinets. Way to go! =
Hope the seasoned techs got a chuckle out of this.

 It never ceases to amaze me at the poor work being attempted out there =
in the real world by schlocks calling themselves piano technicians.I am =
so thankful that at least by taking and passing the RPT exams for PTG I =
was able to establish for myself, my peers, and my betters, that at =
least a certain rudimentary level of technical proficiency was =
established and confirmed.
Joseph Alkana RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20