v-bar/capo repair

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed Mar 1 04:11:17 MST 2006

> Howdy,

Doody...

> I moved back.  In the meantime, the piano was restrung.  I started
> servicing it again a year after it was delivered.  9 months into
> servicing it, the noisy duplex returned in the exact same spot--but add
> another note.  I freaked out (not in front of the customer), the
> customer freaked out, too (not in front of me).  I contacted the
> rebuilder who said he filed the capo. He and I came to the conclusion
> (whether we are correct or not) that it is a case of soft cast iron.  I
> looked up hardening cast iron in the archives.  To do that would
> mean taking the plate out of the piano and that's not an option.  I'm
> convinced if I refile the capo, the same thing is going to happen again.

I agree. It's going to happen again. And I think the reason
it's going to happen again most likely doesn't have much of
anything to do with the capo profile or hardness. It has more
to do with the length of the front duplex segment in question.
And since that's about as problematic as reshaping or
hardening the v-bar (capo), the pitch lock approach looks to
me to be the best way to eliminate or at least minimize the
effect without having to actually correct the cause.

> I know there are some pianos that have some sort of rod installed at the
> v-bar.  Is it possible to do the same with this piano at the capo?  Has
> anyone done it?  Do you have detailed instructions?  Will someone hold
> my hand?.....Please?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT

This is certainly possible, if the existing configuration
allows room, but it would be an individual evaluation sort of
thing.

Ron N