v-bar/capo repair

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed Mar 1 09:46:03 MST 2006

Greetings from Rome Barbara !

Couldnt help getting interested in your Seiler as we have one at the University that began displaying the same kinds of symptoms.  In our case we simply loosened the strings in smaller groups, pushed them aside so as to be able to reprofile the capo bar. I always reprofile as per Ed McMorrows advice. The Seiler we have responded very well indeed to this. 0.5 mm wide and a non rounded surface.

As far as inserts. Strikes me as a rather major effort tho definatly doable.  The Petrof breakaways that call themselves Bohemia uses this configuration. Tho I do not find the affect pleasing at all. Tho no doubt the material used, angle of deflection away from the capo, length of the front duplex... etc all get into the picture.

That said.. Eds proceedure has the best trackrecord of anything I've ever run into that can be done outside of a full workshop environment.

cheers
RicB