Puzzeler from Seattle

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 14:48:39 MST 2006

Joseph,

When I come across situations like this, I wish I could find out whodunnit, call the offender, and kindly offer to drive him/her to a PTG meeting and sponsor his/her recovery. (After, of course, I apply 1000 lashes with a wet noodle...)

Dave Davis, RPT

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:18:47 -0800
From: "Joseph Alkana" <josephspiano@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Puzzeler from Seattle
BINGO! Congratulations Jerry Cohen RPT!

Some "tooner", attempting to satisfy my client's request that something be done about the way the piano played, simply started out a "regulation" by shimming the hammer rebound rail up so that the hammer blow distance measured out at about 1 7/8". Then apparently he tried to raise the let off, but of course, was unable to do so and still get the hammer to go thru some kind of a let off. Nothing else was done, except that he added a nice piece of soft felt to lay on top of the rebound rail felt, since there was now quite a racket coming from the return of the hammers! Yes there was a floating key level in the higher octaves that first gave me a clue that all was not right with the nice straight hammer line. For those of you just learning regulation, setting the blow distance by shimming the hammer rest rail, is the first step that you do after action preparation ...FOR VERTICLES!!

I hereby award Jerry with my client list of Winter spinets. Way to go! Hope the seasoned techs got a chuckle out of this.

 It never ceases to amaze me at the poor work being attempted out there in the real world by schlocks calling themselves piano technicians.I am so thankful that at least by taking and passing the RPT exams for PTG I was able to establish for myself, my peers, and my betters, that at least a certain rudimentary level of technical proficiency was established and confirmed.
Joseph Alkana RPT