Upright Action mounting pins

Teslaspark at aol.com Teslaspark@aol.com
Wed Mar 1 21:14:51 MST 2006

Hi, group!

My name is Rex Burrus from Chicago and I'm  new to the list and recently new
to piano technology having been indoctrinated  by classes of a local mentor
and taken under the wings of the Chicago PTG  chapter early in 2005.  I've been
tuning mainly, but also work the  technology angle of pianos, plus work on
players for all of one year  now.

Now for my juicy question du  jur...

I have on two occasions come to wonder about  action mounting in an upright.
In both cases, I have found the action to  be somewhat ajar and not even
settled upon the mounting pins in the keybed which  have made these pianos play
lousy.  The one piano was completely cured  simply by repositioning the action
properly and the customer was so overjoyed  that I made extra money on that
tuning.  On my current project, I found  that the action is not properly resting
on all the mounting pins.  In fact  the middle two pins are not even in
contact with the wells in the action  supports.  These pins are threaded and squared
so that turning them moves  the mounting pins up and down in the keybed.  I
suspect that at another  time, some "tooner" ran into trouble seating the
action and at a minimum raised  the treble end as the treble hammers were striking
the v-bar and making no  sound.  So, minimally, I'll lower the far upper
mounting pin and this  should cause all mountings to fall into proper alignment.
Intellectually,  I'm wondering overall what any procedure might be to precisely
locate an action  using these mounting pins.  I understand that raising or
lowering the  action changes the striking point of the hammers on the speaking
length of the  wires, so I'm curious as to how the striking point is found or
if there are any  good references on this, and what might be a proper procedure
for adjusting  (regulating?) the mounting pins in the keybed of an upright?
Is this a  factory only adjustment?

Thanx!

PIANO TUNING by REX!
Repairs and adjustments, also.