Upright Action mounting pins

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 2 00:08:49 MST 2006

Rex,
A lot of piano makers still mount the bottom of the action to the
key-bed.  Some better ones (and one affordable Chinese make) have
started mounting the action directly to the plate including the rear
key-rest felt..  You see what happens with humidity flexing of the
key-bed.  I've had actions shoved up where the last octave was
striking on the upper string bearing (hammers were not incorrectly
filed).  That is pretty rare, usually it's too low here.  Generally
you like the feet tight.  But if it has been usually dry...you might
think twice.
Typically strike point is most sensitive in the high
treble.  Theoretically you want to strike on a seventh so as to
weaken that partial most.  Typically you aim <= 1/8" below the upper
bearing at C8.  If you can get good clean sound out of the piano, a
little refining down lower might be possible.

Good luck and have fun,
Andrew