Upright Action mounting pins

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 2 00:32:03 MST 2006

I don't know about the question...but your business should be "Tunasaur=
us Rex"....;-]

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: Teslaspark@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Upright Action mounting pins

Hi, group!

My name is Rex Burrus from Chicago and I'm new to the list and recently=
 new to piano technology having been indoctrinated by classes of a loca=
l mentor and taken under the wings of the Chicago PTG chapter early in =
2005.  I've been tuning mainly, but also work the technology angle of p=
ianos, plus work on players for all of one year now.

Now for my juicy question du jur...

I have on two occasions come to wonder about action mounting in an upri=
ght.  In both cases, I have found the action to be somewhat ajar and no=
t even settled upon the mounting pins in the keybed which have made the=
se pianos play lousy.  The one piano was completely cured simply by rep=
ositioning the action properly and the customer was so overjoyed that I=
 made extra money on that tuning.  On my current project, I found that =
the action is not properly resting on all the mounting pins.  In fact t=
he middle two pins are not even in contact with the wells in the action=
 supports.  These pins are threaded and squared so that turning them mo=
ves the mounting pins up and down in the keybed.  I suspect that at ano=
ther time, some "tooner" ran into trouble seating the action and at a m=
inimum raised the treble end as the treble hammers were striking the v-=
bar and making no sound.  So, minimally, I'll lower the far upper mount=
ing pin and this should cause all mountings to fall into proper alignme=
nt.  Intellectually, I'm wondering overall what any procedure might be =
to precisely locate an action using these mounting pins.  I understand =
that raising or lowering the action changes the striking point of the h=
ammers on the speaking length of the wires, so I'm curious as to how th=
e striking point is found or if there are any good references on this, =
and what might be a proper procedure for adjusting (regulating?) the mo=
unting pins in the keybed of an upright?  Is this a factory only adjust=
ment?

Thanx!

PIANO TUNING by REX!
Repairs and adjustments, also.