v-bar/capo repair: Seiler pictures 1

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 2 20:33:38 MST 2006

Barbara,

You can also go to your neighborhood hardware store and get brass rod. =
  Cut to fit under unison and just grind one side flat...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Barbara Richmond"
To: Pianotech
Subject: v-bar/capo repair: Seiler pictures 1

Hi All,

Well, I sent four pictures yesterday afternoon to "files", but it still=
 hasn't shown up on the list.  Guess the person in charge is busy.  Any=
way, I wanted to get moving on it.

Yesterday I was going to be very near this customers home, so I swung b=
y and got some pictures.  I should have mentioned earlier that though m=
uting the duplex helps, I also have to keep on top of the voicing.  I d=
idn't think much about the voicing since I have frequently found that p=
ianos that are approaching extremely bright sound will have the sizzle =
and after voicing the sizzle isn't a problem.  The other reason I stay =
on top of the hammer shape especially, is in the past this piano has ha=
d a problem with breaking strings.

I have tried pressing on the bridge pins, but it didn't seem to make an=
y difference--well, anyway it didn't help.  I haven't tried my vice-gri=
ps on them though.  I had a bad CA glue day and used CA on the bridge p=
ins.  I'm really embarrassed about that picture--I'm usually more succe=
ssful at keeping it under control.   I would have checked the down bear=
ing, but was running errands and forgot to bring the tool case with tha=
t gauge.  Duh.

So, here are the first two pictures, the front duplex angle and a bad p=
icture of the length.  I was going to write down the lengths, but got d=
istracted by some painters that were working at the house.  For some re=
ason they thought I was there to chat.  I should have asked them to be =
quiet.  Next time...

All suggestions and ideas are welcome.  Next, I'll send the other two p=
ictures--under the capo/v-bar view and the bridge.

Barbara Richmond, RPT