v-bar/capo repair: Seiler pictures 2

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 2 23:01:14 MST 2006

Ron,

Looking at the jpg of the capo bar I notice how V shaped it is...not ro=
unded...comments

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Overs Pianos"
To: "Pianotech List"
Subject: Re: v-bar/capo repair: Seiler pictures 2

Hi Barbara,

I agree with David and Ron N, I think the front duplex length is one of=
 the main issues. There is also a degree of capo bar deformation which =
won't be helping matters either.

Hardening the bar along with reducing the duplex length would most like=
ly help. However, the string approach angle is getting up there to be r=
unning against hard bars and the last note before the bar has quite an =
offset angle over the bar. So if this bar is hardened you will have dif=
ficulty avoiding the tendency for the fist capo-note strings to skid ac=
ross towards the adjacent treble strings (this is not uncommon when the=
 bars are hardened). This tells you something about soft capo bars, the=
y are grooving, and the grooves are holding the strings in the position=
 they were aligned to. It stands to reason that the piano wire will be =
rattling on the deformed groove as it vibrates. Hard hammers will bring=
 out the worst that is there to be had.

You could experiment with front duplex length reduction by selecting th=
e note with the most offensive string noise, placing a small bar under =
the string as close as possible to the capo. The transformation will ve=
ry likely astound you. Its unfortunate that S&S persist in using 40 mm =
as a front duplex standard for the first capo notes. By default a great=
 majority of the rest follow suit. When copying some one else's specifi=
cation, it helps to understand what it is we are copying.

Surely we can learn something by observing the fact that string noise i=
n upright pianos is just about non existent. I believe it is no coincid=
ence that upright pianos don't have 40 mm between the V bar and pressur=
e bar. If they did they'd be noisy also.

Just as an aside, that plate is conveniently shaped for retrofitting a =
strut between the plate and the belly rail. Often the lower corner, whe=
re the plate strut meets the agraffe mounting plate, is radiused making=
 it hard to centre-drill the plate for seating the strut.

For those of you who haven't seen the struts that we fit between the pl=
ate and the belly rail I've posted an image to my personal web space. I=
ts a bit big to post to the list.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/hardened_KG6_capo.jpg

This plate has the characteristic inconvenient radius right where we wo=
uld prefer to locate the strut.

Best,
Ron O.
--