near impossible tuning

Mark Schecter schecter@pacbell.net
Fri Mar 3 07:01:50 MST 2006

Hi Mark,
                 Ed is a highly skilled grand tech, and he will know what
I am talking about.
In the capo section. Use the string hook , and your thumb pushing on the
top of the plate above the capo bar. Using your thumb you can bounce the
string upwards. It's not a caveman kinking effort, but it is aggressive
by string lifting standards.
  By watching the damper 'blink' you can control the amount of lift on
each string.   Maybe not on your first piano ;-) but you can soon learn
the technique.
  On pianos with a very low draft angle on the forward duplex. I use two
hooks. One on the duplex area holding at steady upward pressure, the
second bouncing up on the speaking length.
  Besides improving the tonal quality, it will help to cut down on duplex
noise, and improve tuneability.

I could show you in a few seconds in Rochester, just attend the class =-O

Regards Roger