beginner seeking advice re:VTDs (vacuum tuning devices)

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 03 Mar 2006 05:33:31 -0600

Philippe,

At 08:45 AM 3/3/2006 +0100, you wrote:
> > Philippe, I fear that you are serious about this.
>
>Do you ? Really ? Waow... Cool... I didn't know I was THAT good ;-)

Didn't fool everybody... ;-}

>Well, my point is : Never do that with a vacuum cleaner bag (lol)
>Philippe

...unless it's never been used.

>Ps : In fact my real plan, since I own a very old piano with a wooden frame
>and which I'm not even sure I can raise to A440 without breaking it, and
>since I was an IT guy and quite good at mathematical programming, was
>to write my own program to analyse the stretching needed by the strings,
>and then produce my own reference sound set, to be able to check string
>per string, not needing to rebuild the whole temperament each time it
>changes...

I know a couple of excellent techs in Bruxelles who, I'm sure, could point
you in the right direction and save you a lot of work. (Pierre, Stéphane,
you here?) They both do a lot of work on really old instruments...

>... and then, I tune it to the fan of my computer's power supply
>The only risk is that I will have to shut down the fans of my processor and
>graphics chips that could give false beats ;-)

Using my laptop, with it's intermittent fan, would necessitate careful
timing and/or temporary delays in the tuning process, right?

Leave it up to Jeff Foxworthy to give us a proper use for a vacuum
cleaner.  I peaked ahead to tomorrow on my "You Might be a Redneck If..."
calendar.

         "You Might be a Redneck If...  Your burglar alarm is a vacuum
cleaner plugged into a motion detector."

Conrad Hoffsommer

Chi si ferma è perduto.