FW: keytops

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri Mar 3 14:33:28 MST 2006

I use the other German tops that I get from Pianotek (KTF-4W, KTF 5C) =
that
are already cut apart.  The ones called "light cream" in color (KTF-5C) =
are
a very nice off white.  I also use a homemade clamping apparatus (I =
think I
posted a picture awhile ago) which avoids having to tape each key.  If =
the
key and front aren't exactly 90 degrees (whichever way) you'll have to
clamp.

=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of =
David
Ilvedson
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:19 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org; caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] keytops

=20

List,

I tried a new set of keytops, for me, today...Kluge.  I usually use =
Schaff's
keytops...the Kluge were in connected sets of 7...C through B.   Right =
off
the bat I had to break the sets apart, which was a pain...in fact until =
figured out the secret (carefully break from the tail until down to the
front, then bend/break in that plane), I broke one front and had to
carefully fit that together when gluing...after that I found (opposite =
of
the Schaff keytops) that the keytop front didnt' want to adhere to the =
front
of the key...in other words it didn't have any inherent pressure towards =
the
key's front surface.   With the Schaff, the angle of the keytop front =
made
the adhesion good but tended to push the keytop up at the top front area =
and
I'd get separation unless I clamped.   The Kluge keytop fronts are
apparently at 90 degrees to the top.  I ended up using blue painters =
tape to
come from the key button stretched across the keytop and over the front =
and
underneath the key to apply pressure and keep the front against the keys
front surface...I hope this is clear?   At first I didnt' like the
difference but in retrospect I didn't have to clamp the keys, the blue =
tape
did the trick...

Anyone else have any comments about Kluge...whatever...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California