tools

Charlie Potter charles.potter2@verizon.net
Fri Mar 3 16:15:55 MST 2006

Thank you. It appears that this forum is a gold mine for beginners like =
me. While I am 65 I fully expect to become a RPT someday,charlie
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe And Penny Goss=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 11:18 AM
  Subject: Re: tools

  Marshall,
  The split mute must be trimmed to work well.
  The tips of the mute need to be just thin enough to go easily in =
between any two strings of a well spaced unison. and I reccomend that =
the tip be trimmed on a taper to 1/4" on one side on a slant 3/4" o the =
tip. This allows the mute to nestle closer against the dampers and let =
the hammers clear . When the hammers block, raise the dampers with the =
damper pedal and insert the mute.
  The mute for me is used mainly with the right hand, so the long blade =
of the mute is away from you.
  Basic use is to place the long side just past the right side of the =
unison and move the mute left until the right side clears the right =
string. Slide the mute in until both right and left strings are muted.
  Tune center string.
  Remove mute and place both feet on thr right of the unison.
  Tune left string to center string.
  Assending move the mute to the right and mute the center string and =
tune the left string of the unison that you were tuning.
  Tune the next unison.
  When trimming the mute you do not want to keep the extreemly fine tip =
that you have from the supply house. A slightly thicker tip will last =
longer but also you will be able to feel the click click bump of the =
mute as you move it to mute the next note.
  Muting at the struts and above F7 requires some use of the fine tip, =
and muting two left center. or right center strings. then tuning the =
center string to the tuned note and then all three strings for a unison.

  Joe Goss RPT
  Mother Goose Tools
  imatunr@srvinet.com
  www.mothergoosetools.com