v-bar/capo repair: Seiler pictures 2

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat Mar 4 01:27:06 MST 2006

In a message dated 3/3/2006 3:38:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
rnossaman@cox.net writes:

>   Ron, Barbara
>   Although I'm* not* a  compression crowned soundboard builder I have
> built many boards with  many kinds of spruce & grain oreintations. Even
> pressing ribs on  at 5.5 to 6.% compression still exsist in the panel. If
> I'm sending a  board to the desert it gets dried a bit more.  If the Bay
> area  less is fine.

Hi Dale,
While you're certainly not building  compression crowned
soundboards, you are building partially compression  supported
boards.
   No denial here of course

The ribs  are doing part of the work in supporting
bearing, and the panel is doing  the rest, since the number and
dimensioning of the ribs couldn't support  crown without panel
compression. Nothing wrong with that when it comes to  making
music, as you have seen and heard for yourself, but denser
grain does work better and more dependably in this type of
construction.
  Agreed though some swear some who build CC boards say the board  won't
belly with 20 plus grains an inch..  I know better

An  RC&S board does very nicely with 8-12 grains
per inch and no, they  don't seem to be as reactive to humidity
changes as either CC or RC boards  because the panel isn't
doing much with compression in the first place.
I get it

I don't  know
how the Seiler is ribbed, so I can't say how the low grain
density panel reacts.
   Hmm We can only guess.  Have a good weekend pal
  Dale

???

Ron  N