v-bar/capo repair: Seiler pictures 2

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 4 12:22:15 MST 2006

>     Hi Dale,
>     While you're certainly not building compression crowned
>     soundboards, you are building partially compression supported
>     boards.
>
>    No denial here of course

No need to. I was just trying to point out that low grain
density isn't a problem, and might well be a plus (tuning
stability), with RC&S boards. The attached photo of the piano
currently in progress shows nearly 3mm of residual crown in
the killer octave. The strings are on, up to pitch, and
bearing there is around 1.5°. The fun part is that the shop,
for the last three weeks, has been dry enough that my MC gage
shows just shy of the reading at which I ribbed the panel
(6%). That's all rib support! I just love this stuff.

>     The ribs are doing part of the work in supporting
>     bearing, and the panel is doing the rest, since the number and
>     dimensioning of the ribs couldn't support crown without panel
>     compression. Nothing wrong with that when it comes to making
>     music, as you have seen and heard for yourself, but denser
>     grain does work better and more dependably in this type of
>     construction.
>
>   Agreed though some swear some who build CC boards say the board won't
> belly with 20 plus grains an inch..  I know better

Man, just about the time I think I've heard all the flaky
soundboard mythology there is, yet another senseless "truth"
oozes up, as Guy said, "like worms from a hot cheese log".
Makes you wonder where this stuff comes from.

Ron N