Black Market Pianos

Paul Mulik tubist at swbell.net
Sat Mar 4 10:14:07 MST 2006

This sounds to me like a "grey market" piano.  As I understand it, people
who are who are not authorized dealers buy quantities of used pianos, then
hold a big sale, often at a university.  This practice is perfectly legal,
and the pianos are most likely the genuine article.  However, since the
seller is not an authorized dealer, the manufacturer will not honor the
original warranty, nor will they provide replacement parts when necessary.
I'm told Yamaha is especially strict, which makes sense to me, as they must
protect the legitimate dealers.

--Paul Mulik